Thursday, July 9, 2009

(1) Considerations

Chapter Seven. CONSIDERATIONS

After reviewing selected data on the New Cosmology, on Smart
Code, and Consciousness Research, I simply had to sit back
and take some deep breaths. Before I started out, I knew that the
universe would not readily present nor provide specifics when it
came to a Godhead--or the Cosmic Plenum, known as the
"Logos" in Western philosophy.

But I guess I must have had some hidden hope that I might see
more clearly. After reviewing my journal up to this point, I didn't
see many clues that uniquely suggested a Cosmic Plenum. Yet,
both my heart and my mind kept demanding that I continue to
investigate.

So I decided to read those listed books by scientists who leaned
towards a spiritual view of the universe. I wasn't hopeful, but
after all the Institute for Advanced Study had provided me with
this book list. And I remembered that one of the faculty members
had specifically mentioned three of their own star scientists:
Albert Einstein, Freeman Dyson, and David Bohm. So I began
reading into what these scientific luminaries had to say.

I gleaned through as much as I could about the late Albert
Einstein's religious views. He did admit to a "cosmic religious
feeling." From what I could tell, he was a deist under the skin.
He certainly was adamant that he was *not* an atheist nor
a pantheist.

Much to my amazement, I discovered a talk Einstein gave at the
Princeton Theological Seminary. He said that there "is no room
for the divinization of a nation, of a class, let alone of an individual."
With this, he was certainly not proclaiming any revealed religion!
Rather he was in awe of that he called the "spirit manifest in the
laws of the universe," of a "God who reveals Himself in the
harmony of all that exists."

I certainly had to agree with Einstein when he proffered the
following analogy: "The child dimly suspects a mysterious order
in the arrangement of books but doesn't know what it is. That, it
seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human
being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged
and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws."

At least Einstein refers to a God that he believes stands behind
Universal Law(s). Was he thinking of a Cosmic Plenum? The
question remains, however, how orderly the universe might be.
Quantum Theory took the punch out of Einstein, as he declared
that "God does not play dice." Turned out that that the universe
might be rolling the dice after all, especially if you have an
observer-participant universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment